WWCodeManila’s TechUp: Ghost In The Shell (Or How To Navigate Through Linux)
April 17 @ 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
TechUp Sessions are tech talks about different platform tools, cloud technologies, security, best practices and more. This event was made because we want everyone in our community to level up their skillset.
Please answer this form so we can move you from waitlist to RSVP:
(NOTE: This is the same form used in our MARCH events, if you have answered this already last March, just RSVP, no need to answer again.)
* * *
Thanks to Microsoft, most ordinary computer users have gotten used to getting around with a graphical windows environment. But a lot of our development and operations work still depend on the old reliable *command line*. This TechUp Session introduces you to the basics of how to use the Linux command line. It’s not a complete look into it, but it’s just enough for you to not get lost when you’re there.
*Who is it for?*
– You are a developer, specially someone that plans to do backend/systems development.
– You plan to use git.
– You want to go into DevOps.
– You want to use any of the DevOps tools for software development.
– You have started using Linux for the first time but still gets lost with commands.
*What will you learn?*
– The command line interface (also called The Shell)
– Shell tools
– Shell scripting
– Data wrangling
– A tiny tiny bit of vim
*What do you need?*
– Your own computer
– A Linux environment. This may be any of the following:
– Windows 10 installed with WSL2 (preferred if you’re using the latest version of Windows 10 Pro/Home)
– A Linux virtual machine
– An actual installation of Linux on your computer
– If you can boot Ubuntu from a USB drive, you’re okay.
NOTE: The type of Linux you use here will not be important. But if you’re a complete beginner to Linux, I would suggest you get Ubuntu.
NOTE: There will be an online install party the night before the TechUp. Please wait for further details on this. You’ll need to use your phone instead of your computer to join the install party.